The barn from Gammel Skovnæs
The barn was donated to the museum in 1972, but originally belonged to the farm that today is known as Gammel Skovnæs. The farm was built by the former Counsellor Meincke, in about 1850 and was given its name "Woody Headland" due to its position. In 1916, three wings of the farm building burned down and although the main house and the barn escaped the flames, it was decided to remove the agricultural activity to another location in the neighbourhood. The ruins that were left after the fire were where the Open-Air Museum lies today.
The barn is the museum's only building that is entirely brick built. The yellow brick building has a prominent recess construction in the two gable ends and is a so-called free passage storage barn, i.e. a barn where a cart is driven in through the one gable, unloads its corn and drives out through the opposite gable. This large barn from the early 1860s is a clear indication of the prosperity that marked agriculture during the boom time of the so-called corn sales period. The barn's capacity - about 50 m x 14 m - obviously shows that there was a need for large, spacious storehouses to hold the large quantities of corn.
The barn at Gammel Skovnæs 1915. In the foreground Polish girls.
The long barn was used by the Open-Air Museum for displaying information as early as 1929 when three exhibitions were established there. On show were: the museum's Polish collection; historical agricultural implements; and, the contents of Hovmand's old general grocery store from Rødby. However, there was still a corn deposit at one end.
At one point, living quarters were established in the barn, but when it was taken over by the museum in 1972, it was restored to its original appearance. The conversion to living quarters could explain why one can still see signs of windows in the long walls.
Today there is a glass door in the gable end of the barn nearest to the entrance to the museum. Behind this glass door can be seen the steam engine from Nysted Sawmill that was set up in the winter of 2007/2008. During the winter of 2011/2012 the personnel of the Open-Air Museum together with volunteers set up different types of saws from the sawmill that will be driven by the original steam engine. Due to fire risk, the steam engine today is powered by compressed air.
The work of restoring and setting up the steam engine has been accomplished with economic support from, Johnny Rasmussen - a smith from Maribo and Kaeser.
Nysted Sawmill's steam engine is started up several times during the season.