The Curate's House
The curate's dwelling at the museum originated from Landet, near Christianssæde and has been in the museum since it opened in 1927. Originally, the curate's house was part of Landet's three-winged vicarage and is supposed to be from the second half of the 17th century. The curate's wing was designed for the curate, or assistant priest as he was also called - as Landet's priest also served the church in the neighbouring parish. The museum had to carry out a considerable reconstruction when the house was moved as it had been subjected to a number of changes over time, and also due to its original position as part of a side wing. In order to make a free standing building as it appears at the museum today, building material was used from the main vicarage building and windows from the museum's collection.
This house is not built with an open fireplace that functioned as the kitchen. The bachelor curate had his meals with the priest and his family who lived in the main building. There was a chimney, but this was only used as ventilation for the small stove for heating.
The Curate's House before it was moved to the Open-Air Museum
A group, rooted in the Museum Society for Museum Lolland-Falster, is working to restore the house and bring it back to how it was in the 1720s. This is being done with the help of furnishings, collecting household implements and bringing the house to life with performers in the folk costumes of the period. Several times during the season, the priest's widow, with her niece or servants, "moves in" and shows how life was lived in the curate's house in the year 1720. Here it is possible to investigate living conditions in the 1700s.
Donations from Lag-Lolland and the goods lottery made it possible to put a new roof on the curate's house in 2009. See pictures of the thatching here.