The Fejø Post Windmill
The old post mill originates from the island Fejø that lies off the north coast of Lolland. Originally, the island had two windmills, one in Østerby and one in Vesterby (East and West Town). But in 1924, the windmill in Vesterby was bought and moved to the Open-Air Museum in Maribo. At the move, the mill had one wing missing. However, the chairman of Lolland-Falsters Municipal Museum (now Lolland-Falsters Museum) at the time, Alex Holch, managed to find a replacement wing from another windmill on Lolland that was being demolished.
At the time the windmill was acquired by the Open-Air Museum, it had been owned by the same family for three generations - right back to 1833. The windmill was in use up until 1921.
It is not known for certain how old the Fejø post mill is, but it was assessed for fire insurance for the first time in 1816. However, it is most likely older than that as the large brick Dutch mills with a revolving top were beginning to replace the post mills towards the end of the 1700s. The last miller stated in 1922 that the mill was at least 200 years old.
The mill is probably from the close of the 17th century, but there is no concrete proof of this. During a total renovation of the mill in 2009-11, there was an attempt to take a dendro- chronological sample of the wood which could establish when the tree was felled. The results of this test are not yet available.
Facts about the mill
The windmill consists of: the post or buck (2), the cross bar (1), mill shaft, tail (3) and the oblique braces as well as the base frame and saddle beams that were originally made from oak whilst the roof and boarding were made of pine. Following restoration, the boarding and roof are made of Douglas fir whilst the rest, as before, is built from oak wood.
The mill is divided into two stories - a bridge loft (4) underneath, with the grinding loft (5) on top. The heavy grinder rests on the stone beam. A system of horizontal and vertical cogs connect the windshaft's rotation to the grinder's two millstones (6) between which the corn is ground. (See the diagram)