The Fire Engine Shed
The fire engine shed was acquired by the museum in 1937 and came from Errindlev on Lolland. The little building is made of red brick with black-painted beams and a red tiled roof. In 1764, a law was passed that every village should have a fire appliance because of the high risk of fire in rural villages, and in 1792 it was decided that there should be a responsible fire officer in every village.
In 1861 parliament passed a fire police law which passed on responsibility for fire precautionary measures to the municipal authorities. Subsequently, fire appliance buildings were quickly erected over the whole country and in many cases with new fire fighting equipment. These sheds were often placed near the village pond which could also function as an emergency water tank.
The museum's fire engine was constructed in 1865 by coppersmith J.O. Lang from Maribo and has been used in Hillested.