The "Lok" House

The

The "Lok" House

 

This small square house came to the Open-Air Museum in 1926 as a present from what is today Halsted Manor. Originally, the house was a part of the Ørbygård farm, a minor farm estate on northern Lolland, which belonged to the barony of Juellinge - now Halsted Manor. The house was built at the beginning of the 19th century as a home for staff working at the farm estate, and it was located in a park-like garden south of the main building.

 

The Lok House, like the school building, was built from clay, i.e. it is not half-timbered. The walls were formed in large wooden frames into which the damp clay was stamped in several layers. This process ensured that the clay became rock hard. This construction form makes the building vulnerable to rain, and therefore the house had a large roof overhang and the walls were plastered with lime mortar before being lime washed. For a small house, it has an impressively high thatched roof.

 

A lot of interest was shown in the little house and especially in its contents which Countess Agnes Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs had collected and used to furnish the house. The Countess had assembled a kind of north-west Lolland's interior museum that contained a fine collection of furniture, pottery, pewter, copper and brass utensils. To begin with, the museum was only interested in the countess's collection, but she would not accept this. A condition for receiving the artefacts was that the house went with them - which the museum decided to accept. Today, it is not the whole collection of furnishings one sees in the Lok house, but individual pieces that come from her collection.

 

The name of the building comes from an earlier inhabitant, Jens Nielsen Lok who was employed by the estate as a labourer and gardener about 1870.
The Lok house was given a new roof in October 2007 sponsored by the Sonning Foundation. See pictures from the thatching work here.