The Reventlow School
In November 1817, C. D. F. Reventlow inaugurated the last of his new schools on his Christianssæde estate. The school in the village of Langet was named Christiansminde. In accordance with C. D. F. Reventlow's school regulations, the school contained a large, bright classroom for the school's 33 pupils at one end, and a home for teacher Hans Jørgensen at the other. The school was constructed with thick, clay-stamped walls, a wood-saving construction method called pisé. Originally, the school had two outhouses. One containing a barn, a granary, a cowshed and farmhands' quarters. The other had horse stables, a woodshed, loos, pigs and chickens. The schoolteacher's wages consisted of both money and provisions, and the job came with a small plot of land, which made the outhouses a necessity.
The school was extended in 1828, and through to 1904, it served as the local primary and lower secondary school. In 1938-39, the building was moved from the village of Langet to the Open-Air Museum in Maribo.
Langet School before it was moved to the Open-Air Museum. In the doorway, 'Old Mr Hansen', the teacher who lived and worked in the building from 1863 to 1904.
Reventlow's School Regulations
As early as 1792 - 22 years before compulsory education was implemented in Denmark - C. D. F. Reventlow introduced his own school regulations at his Christianssæde estate. In his endeavours to provide better schooling, he placed great emphasis on giving the pupils the optimum settings for learning. The classroom had to be well ventilated, friendly, airy and have good incident light from large windows as well as a wood stove for keeping the place warm and a hygienic brick floor, which the schoolmaster had to sweep twice a week.
Like the classroom, the teaching, which was based on the enlightenment mindset of the age and the introduction of new subjects such as physics, national history, geography and singing, had to be friendly and forthcoming. The idea was that pupils would attend school because they wanted to, and that they would be educated as useful, Christian and knowledgeable citizens. C. D. F. Reventlow's vision for his schools was to give the rural population access to the knowledge and insight that he, as the mastermind behind the great agrarian reforms, knew were necessary. If the agrarian reforms were to create prosperity in the rural communities, the abolition of theStavnsbånd(manorial bondage) and the relocation of the village farms had to be followed by better education.