The Village Smithy
The village smithy comes from Majbølle in the north east of Lolland and was removed to the Open- Air Museum in 1927. The smithy was built at the beginning of the 19th century and for many years belonged to the baronetcy Guldborgland consisting of the farm estates Orebygård and Beritzgård.
Contrary to the majority of the museums other buildings, the little square smithy is built of red brick with brown painted beams and red tiled roof, the colours showing the smithy's connection to the baronetcy of Guldborgland. A tiled roof is due to the danger of fire that adhered to a smith's workplace, where a thatched roof would be at risk in combination with the open fireplace.
The Village Smithy before it was moved to the Open-Air Museum
When the building was moved to the Open-Air Museum, the contents were not made available. The equipment now in the smithy comes from a similar smithy in Maribo.
At many of the museum's large and small events, work is carried on in the smithy where, amongst other things, hinges for the doors in the houses and nails and staples for repairing the houses' wall beams are forged.